Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Technabob, Project Red Light and Euro 2008

I came across an interesting website this week: http://www.technabob.com/blog/. Technabob has all sorts of interesting articles on fringe technology. My favorite entry so far is the platform shoes with functional GameBoys in the heels. http://technabob.com/blog/2008/06/02/shoes-embedded-with-working-nintendo-gameboys/
Also check out the functioning NES joystick/coffee table.

Watching Two and a Half Men last night, (yes I watched it, I didn’t feel great about it, but I didn’t have any new Battlestar Galactica to watch and didn’t want to commit to an entire movie; plus it is kinda funny, especially between Sheen and Cryer, but the boy is getting mighty annoying), I saw a commercial for, get ready, America’s Greatest Dog. Seriously. Is that the state of TV in general and reality TV in particular that an American Idol ripoff show for canines is the next step? Yikes.

On Radaronline, they had a worst movie pitch contest—Project Red Light. This is what my dreams are made of. High points for creativity in story ideas and casting. Read these and think that as ridiculous as these are, this is how movies are made. http://radaronline.com/features/2008/03/project_redlight_harvey_weinstein_finalists_winner_01.php

Euro 2008 starts on Saturday so I have been busily arranging my MS Outlook calendar, trying to figure out when I can watch the games. I want to watch as many live as I can, but between my family, work, and soccer commitments, it’s going to be tough. Thank God for Tivo/DVR. ABC/ESPN have really stepped up to the plate for this, both in quantity and quality of coverage. Not only do I not have to shell out $200 for a PPV package, but I also don’t have to watch the games on mute. Well except those Tommy Smyth is doing. Ugh. My dream would probably be a Portugal/Spain final or maybe a France/Spain final. I really want Spain to do well, and shake the choking dog label. They have a great side and play some sexy football. We shall see.
I’m looking for poll question ideas for upcoming weeks, so let me know if you have something. Hopefully the rain lets up and we play soccer tonight. Otherwise I’ll be hitting the bottle (of Gatorade) pretty hard. Ta Ta.

4 comments:

Commish said...

Whoa, since when do you have a DVR?

shannoncaroland said...

I'm sorry, but if you are watching "Two and a Half Men", you are the demographic for "America's Greatest Dog." You are the reason they are making shows like that. It's your fault. Now, knock it off!

Austin Long said...

i don't have a DVR. but people i know do.

shannon, you're probably right. instead of being part of the solution, i was being part of the problem. i'll contact Nielsen ratings and have them deduct my viewership and demogrpahic info from their statistics.

i feel a lot better.

Aleks said...

I've started watching Euro 2008 for free. ESPN offers a free service to those located in Europe called ESPN360. It's rather nifty. Oh, and domestic TV channels here show all games from the Euro 2008. Keeping my fingers crossed for Russia, they could become the next Greece and make a surprise win.