Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hiatus

Well, I'm back from my writing haitus. I didn't go anywhere, I just didn't write anything. At all. For two weeks. It was great.

But I am back and ready for more cultural brew and spew.

Tonight I heard one of the most amazing come-to-Jesus testimonies in my entire life. It is the story of an Indian Hindu priest-in-training who became a Christian in a miraculous way and is now running an orphanage in India. It is a long story, but the short of it is that Jesus appeared to him personally in his conversion.

Now thousands of people are being introduced to Christ in the upper castes of the Hindu world. Hundreds of children are being cared for and being sent to college. He is doing a great work in a needy part of the world. His story is fantastic.

There is a part of me that doesn't want to believe him. There is a part of me that says that the HS doesn't work that way anymore. I know I am wrong but my mind is having a hard time getting around it.

I believe it in my heart but not in my head, or is it the other way around? This is confusing.

That aside, I just watched the Red Wings win another Stanley Cup. Henrik Zetterberg (who I met at a bar and is remarkably short for an athlete of his --- stature) is the MVP.

The Pistons fired Flip and are threatening more major moves. The question I have about that is, have any inexperienced, first-year coaches who have backgrounds as players ever won an NBA title? Michael Curry really your first choice to replace Flip Saunders? Really? I'm starting to lose my faith in Joe. I should have gotten the hint when he drafted Darko. We forgave him for that, but he hasn't won a title since. What would this crew have done with Carmello Anthony backed up by Tayshaun Prince? Hmmm...


Flip Saunders will have no problem finding a job. The problem with Joe's timing (again) is that there isn't anyone better than Flip on the market. There aren't really many good coaches at this level.
During the season Mark Cuban said he'd hire him in a heartbeat.
And when we look at the rest of the roster, Joe is going to mix that up too. There isn't a better point-guard available than Chauncey Billups. Don't get me wrong. There are a couple of better point guards, but they are so valuable that nobody would part with them. I think you have to look at your areas of weakness. For the second straight year Tayshaun Prince disappeared in the playoffs. And so did Rasheed Wallace. Wallace has one more year on his 13 million dollar contract and that would fetch a good catch on a good inside man like, hmmmm.. I don't know... Jermaine O'Neal or Shaun Jefferson? Rip is also at risk. With Rodney Stuckey playing so well off the point Rip's value drops.

The Tigers have gone from bad with hope to awful and no hope. This team is just terrible.

Dan has been posting songs on his Myspace page and I'm pretty proud of him. They are good!

No comments: