Tuesday, June 10, 2008

in the dark

Sunday night our power went out. Not that big of a deal. I mean I could have wasted a couple of hours playing FIFA or online poker, but instead I simply sat in the candlelight and contemplated a) how much of my life I waste entertaining myself and b) what life must have been like before electricity. After sunset, what? You could try to do things by candlelight but good luck with that. After this time of reflection, I increased the backlight on my ipod and read until I fell asleep.

Being unplugged Sunday night brought into focus how I’m plugging back into pop culture. I actually knew that Angelina Jolie supposedly had her twins, but that turned out to be a hoax and so the world have to wait for more progeny from Bradgelina or whatever their celebrity couple nickname is. And this is an actual story. I find myself visiting radaronline and entertainment sections of major media outlets more and more frequently. I find myself hungering for gossip and celebrity train wrecks. Got to get this under control. I can only waste so much time.

As always, I’m behind on movies. I finally saw Superbad. Funny, raunchy, homo-erotic on several levels. As I was watching , a nagging thought kept bugging me until I finally realized what it was: this was American Pie, which was something lese before it. Buddy flick about the transition from high school to college and all the angst and awkwardness and turmoil that accompanies it. The dialogue was hilarious and the cops were a riot. McLovin was a great character, while the main characters had a fabulous dynamic and their banter fueled the movie. I was disturbed by the morning after the sleep over. No sleep over I ever attended went anything like that. Tom, back me up on that.

Finally, Euro 2008 started on Saturday. The games have been interesting so far, in that the favorites have not really lived up to their billing, and the hosts have been very unlucky. The goals have not been there, and it comes down to a lack of quality finishing. Several decent attempts have not even tested the goal keeper. The tournament goes marching on and I’m hoping some of the big teams hit the high notes. I’ll be watching Russia v Spain this afternoon after work. Sorry Aleks, I’m pulling for Spain. Maybe Russia will be runner up in the group.

Finally, for real, Born of Frustration by James is playing as I write. If there is a theme song for my life, that is it.

No comments: