Tuesday, June 17, 2008

i'm thrilled and annoyed

Watching Euro 2008 has been exhilarating. After the first day or two, the tournament has really taken off and has provided riveting drama. If you have not seen the end of Turkey v Czech Republic, do yourself a favor and find it on footytube.com or youtube.com or ESPN360.com. Unbelievable. The quarterfinals start Thursday and the big question is: Can Spain deliver? I’ll be watching for sure.

During the TV coverage of Euro 2008, this ad for Dunkin Donuts has been shown. It has to be one of the worst ads in the history of television. I would embed it in my post if I knew how and it would probably be more dynamic, but here’s the link:
What exactly are you trying to convey? So one sip can help your friend move and then you can enjoy a job well done. IT WON’T BE COLD!!!! I’m not knocking because it’s a competitor, because I enjoy Starbucks Frappucinos and Panera IC Chip drinks. I’m knocking because it’s idiotic, incoherent and really, really annoying.

Speaking of annoying things, I have officially ceased to listen to the radio for music. I had been holding out for the Impact 89 FM, but no more. Every time I turn it on, it’s EMO crap or faux rap or just garbage, not Garbage. I will continue to listen to their specialty shows because provide a great range of music and entertainment, but I’m not searching the dial.

Sam’s post was pretty interesting. Lots of technological influences, which I would not have guessed. I’m hoping to have time later this week to come up with my top 5.

I’ll be working on a new poll over the next couple of days. TTFN.

3 comments:

Sam said...

Euro 2008 has been unbelievable. It started slowly, but has been going strong since Day 2 or 3. I was going to post about that Turkey/Czech game, but figured you would. Seriously, 5 goals in one half, red carding the Turk goalie, on and on it goes - wow!
Unfortunately, most of the rest of the drama must wait until the knockout round as Group D is pretty well decided.

What's the deal with France? Is Henri a has-been or what?

As for the Dunkin Donuts commercial, I have been Tivo-ing the games so I don't see the commercials. I will look for it today during the France-Italy match.

Brandon Caroland said...

Come on! You're letting your age show a little Austin. You've been there. Helping your financially disabled friends without so much class as to purchase some beers move on a hot day. Donuts do make a chore go down in the most delightful way! The coffee is icing. People get coffee at Dunkin Donuts the way that they do at McDonald's. Its a secondary purchase. It doesn't get you in the door. If you wanted coffee only, you would go to starbucks or Bigby (though I doubt it). If you want baked goods or a good sandwich with a salad combo, you go to panera. If you want greasy meat patties and french fries you go to Mcdonalds and if you want fried cakes you go to the double D, because Krispy Kreme doesn't have espresso...

Bristol Crowne said...

I agree with Brandon (SHOCK AND AWE!) I like Dunkin' Donuts and I also like their coffee. I find that particular commercial funny in a Weird-Al-esque sort of way.

They do have one commercial I do despise thoroughly: http://youtube.com/watch?v=r2y_GwKzxck

I also like doing things is what I like to do! YES!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hM0ppNOp3-g

And I like the one about cleaning up after an all night blowout! (which I couldn't find on youtube)
"Last night was very fun, this morning, less so. Who's left shoe is this, does anybody know?"

Yes, I pay way too much attention to these commercials....I like donuts...