Sunday, June 1, 2008

Coming to America

Last week, I finally purchased plane tickets to come to the US in July. As I'm flying Polish Airlines, I wouldn't be surprised to find pedals at every seat, requiring passengers to do their share in saving money on fuel by manually pushing the engine.

I'm looking forward to having to drive everywhere and paying $4 a gallon for gasoline in the beautiful state of Michigan. When I was in the US after Christmas, the gas prices hit $3.20 and even that seemed a bit expensive. And just to think when I first arrived to the US 11 years ago, a gallon of gas cost pathetic 99 cents.

Gas prices are crawling upwards in Europe as well, don't get me wrong. However, here, a car is still a luxury. It's harder, but it is possible to get around without a vehicle using a system of public transportation. Sweaty bodies of folks hanging like sardines in buses is something everyone must experience.

As a classic once said, "When times get tough, the tough hide under the table." Apparently, automakers are pushing ahead with fuel-efficient hybrid vehicles in the US, the number of sales of everyone's favorite SUVs hit a new low. It's bound to change lifestyle of Americans for the better and help fight everyone's figment of imagination called the global warming.

High gas prices force to become efficient with the way they use energy. And one can only welcome that.

And when I decide to move back to the US for good, I'm buying a bike.

No comments: